Thursday, July 24, 2008

People Who Like Your Music, Near You

I stumbled over Finetune.com (a really awesome music discovery site ala Last.fm and Pandora.com) which, when I typed in the band name "Garbage", and after playing one of their songs, it decided to play for me Dissolved Girl by Massive Attack (Mezzanine album).

Boy I hadn't heard that song in such a long time - and it was totally the right song for me in that moment! I don't know what it is, but sometimes I just need to hear a song that fits something deep inside of me; Triphop music often does that for me these days. Now I want to buy the album (I used to have it a long time ago, I think I lost it somehow; I can't find my mp3's of it anywhere).

As extremely happy as that song made me, listening to it with chills down my spine, I can't help feel bad (yet again) that nobody I know appreciates the music I like! Look. I'm a male, in my 40's, married, with 2 teenagers. My wife doesn't like Triphop music at all. My kids are too young to really get it. Most of my guy friends only like metal or rock or alternative, "radio" music as I call it. Nobody appreciates strong-female-lyrics music like I do. Nobody enjoys No Doubt, Garbage, Kelly Ali, Sneakerpimps (Becoming X), Portishead, Olive, Kill Hannah, that sort of thing. I believe I've asked everyone I know.

And yet, I know there's people all over the Internet who deeply understand these songs the way I do. I just don't know who they are - I don't want to be emotionally relating to some 16-year-old; that would be creepy. And I can't physically meet the person if they're in a far-off place or too young.

What I'm trying to say is - how do I find the people who like the music I like, near me?

There are so many social networking systems today, but most of them try to eliminate the borders and distance as a limitation. I'm all for that - don't get me wrong. But sometimes it would be nice for a bunch of adults with a common musical interest to meet for a couple hours at someone's house (with a good stereo system!) to listen to music they like together.

Meet up with Common Music Friends

For example, let's say I like Triphop and Alternative. I should be able to find a dozen people within 25 miles of me who like Triphop; and a similar set of 25 (different) people who like Alternative. Maybe all of us Triphop-25-mile-radius people talk together some how, and decide to meet at "John's" house for a couple beers and some great music! While listening we can talk about the deeper aspects of the songs, performers, bands, era, movies that used the songs, etc. That would be really cool.

And, maybe set up a completely different meeting with the dozen-different-people who like Alternative music. Perhaps some of the same people would be at both groups; perhaps not. Perhaps 1 or 2 songs/bands the group plays are ones I don't particularly care for; most of the songs will be ones I like though, so I don't care.

Solution - Location Based Social Networks

A whole slew of new social networking systems are coming out that are location-based in one way or another. Without going too much into it, check out this article: http://www.techcrunch.com/tag/brightkite/

I'm going to give Britekite a try. I know a lot of these location-based social network sites have failed. I will know a good one when I see it. Hope I see it soon.


No comments: